Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation, Masiphumulele, South Africa
Clinical Research Center Partners
Photo: Geoff Oliver Bugbee
Years of sustained involvement by research doctors and nurses, counselors and community health workers, and others, is required to turn the great hope of microbicides into a reality.
Partnering With Research Institutions Globally
IPM collaborates with local clinical research institutions in Africa as well as Europe and the United States to conduct our clinical trials for HIV prevention.
IPM also invests heavily in building skills, medical research capacity and infrastructure, and awareness about HIV prevention in the communities where our clinical trials take place.
Strengthening Medical Research Capacity
These efforts strengthen capacity in the areas hardest hit by the HIV epidemic, such as Southern and Eastern Africa, and directly benefit members of the communities and countries where the research is conducted with support from IPM and our donors.
Some of the benefits seen today through the work of our clinical research partners and IPM’s capacity building in areas deeply affected by HIV/AIDS include:
- Important clinical trials that advance microbicide science
- Product acceptability studies that identify women’s product preferences and inform IPM’s product development efforts
- Increased HIV awareness and promotion of general health and HIV prevention strategies
- Women’s empowerment through education and counseling
- Increased access to HIV testing and counseling
- Stronger link between research center facilities and public health services
- Strengthened medical research capacity
- Professional development for research center staff, including doctors, nurses, counselors, laboratory techs, finance and administrative staff, among others
- Involvement of men in HIV prevention
IPM Clinical Research Center Partners
Madibeng Centre for Research, Brits, North-West, South Africa
Maternal, Adolescent and Child Health (MatCH), Edendale, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS, Masaka, Uganda
Ndlovu Medical Centre, Limpopo, South Africa
Prevention of HIV/AIDS Project (PHIVA), Pinetown, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Qhakaza Mbokodo, Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa